When was the last time you paused and asked yourself WHY?
“Why am I doing what I’m doing?”
- Because it sets me on fire! (In a good way!)
- Because I got all them bills
- Because I want this and that and the other
- Because I said back when I was 16 that I wanted to
- Because curls get the girls
- Because a stroked ego feels gooooooood
Take a second to think about that… why are YOU doing what you’re doing?
….and then I invite you to take that thought a step deeper…
“Is it working for you?”
- Do you (mostly) enjoy your day-to-day life?
- Are you kind to yourself?
- Do you feel alive?
- Are you inspired often?
- Do your bills get paid?
- How do you feel straight after you’ve bought the thingy?
- How do you feel a month after you’ve bought the thingy?
- Do you feel proud of the life you’ve created?
Social constructionism exists (We develop our ideas, beliefs and understandings based on the context in which we grow up and live. More on this later.). It’s unavoidable.
Sometimes what you’re “supposed to do” and “what your whole being desires”, get into a brawl. A quiet, internal, violent, aggressive face off. That shit be exhausting (and sometimes debilitating)! The war scars are fierce… all them body aches, panic attacks, crying fits, face planting, internal irritation scratching, endless dissatisfaction, obsessive yearning, dread, pacing, mania, complete and utter hopelessness, fixation and control…a bruised and battered self image.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR WHY AND LISTENING TO IT CAN CHANGE THE WAY YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR LIFE!
Of course we have to pay the bills and function (highly) within society. This isn’t me telling you to go out and quit your day job people, or break up with your plus one…it’s me reminding you to sit down and deliberately and consciously decide how you want to feel! This is hugely impacted by figuring out our why! You get to choose YOUR why! Ask yourself questions like:
- What do I value?
- What do I enjoy doing?
- What are my strengths?
- What do I want my life to FEEL like?
- What type of people make me feel energised?
- What type of activities make me feel energised?
- What type of environment makes me feel energised?
- What are my three biggest priorities, and am I focused on them?
- What makes my heart smile? (Do more of that!)
Lots to think about here guys…remember that you don’t need to come up with some big life plan or hectic “solution”…you are just getting curious and opening up an ongoing love affair with your why? Smooch away my friends!